Dorothy H. Mandel, M.Ed., LMHC, CCMHC has worked as a Professional Educational Specialist for over three decades. She has demonstrated broad success improving the lives and performance of children and adolescents with academic, social, emotional and behavioral issues.
Ms. Mandel works closely with parents and staff to help them understand and reinforce their child’s needs. Her work involves a supportive approach in which the child can be taught to integrate new and more appropriate individualized strategies which facilitates their progress. Ms. Mandel helps the child deal with the stress and frustration of learning or behaving somewhat differently. She is keen to understand the child’s point of view and facilitates their becoming an invested party in their own success.
Since 1981, Ms. Mandel has maintained a private psychotherapy practice for youngsters and adults. She has also worked as a therapist and clinical consultant with children and adolescents in a pre-CHINS and CHINS court related clinic, and conducted clinical investigations for judges of the juvenile courts.
Ms. Mandel integrates the fields of Learning Disabilities, Special Education, School Psychology and Clinical Mental Health Counseling to facilitate the growth and development of struggling students. She earned a B.A. degree in Psychology and Spanish from Case Western Reserve University, and an M.Ed. in Community Mental Health Counseling from Northeastern University. She is MA certified in Special Needs K-12, and as a School Psychologist, pre-K-12. Ms. Mandel practices with independent LMHC licensure from the state of MA. She maintains national certification as a Clinical Mental Health Counselor. Ms. Mandel has completed extensive additional coursework and training to meet the needs of her clients.
- The Council of Exceptional Children
- Learning Disabilities Association of America
- The American Counseling Association
- American Orthopsychiatric Association
- The National Board of Certified Counselors
- Ms. Mandel holds the National Certified Clinical Mental Health Counselor Certification
(Of 80,000 NBCC Nationally Certified Counselors, only 1100 hold this prestigious certificate in the US)
Honors and Awards
- Consultant on Policy and Legislation on the President’s Committee on Employment of People with Learning Disabilities, Washington, D.C.
- Guest lecturer at the New England Joint Conference on Specific Learning Disabilities, Framingham, MA
- Recipient of The Best Buy Children’s Foundation Grant
- The Excellence Award, Special Education Parents’ Advisory Council
- Founding President of the NE Alumni Chapter of Case Western Reserve University, an organization serving the needs of 3000 alumni in the Boston area
- Current Vice-President, NE Alumni Chapter of Case Western Reserve University
- Served as National Chair, Leadership Committee, Alumni Council, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio
- Served as National Chair, Regional Chapters’ Group, Alumni Council, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio
- Kappa Delta Pi, International Honor Society in Education
- Psi Chi, International Honor Society in Psychology